Today I turn 28 years old. For real... I am really that old. Wasn't I just a carefree kid? Wasn't the prom just a few months ago? There is no way it has been almost TEN years since I graduated high school. It's just not possible.
It's not possible, yet it is so. In ten years, I have lived in FOUR states, graduated high school, graduated college, been married, been divorced, been married again, held a number of jobs, given birth twice, and become a stepmother to three. Wow! All of that in ONLY ten years? I guess it really IS possible.
I have to say I am proud of who I am today. Maybe that's prideful or narcissistic, but it's true. For someone my age, I have been through a lot, and I have achieved in spite of it. I have ambitions, and I intend to achieve even more. I love my family wholly and fiercely and I make sure that they know it.
Everything I am, everything I have been able to overcome, I owe to a few special people in my life. First and foremost are my parents. They are the most amazing people I know. I will never be able to put into words how much I love them and what they mean to me. Same goes for my little sister, who is my best friend in the whole world. Then, there are my children, who make me smile every day, and my stepchildren, who have shown me that unconditional love can exist outside the traditional family. My husband is my supporter, my rock, who lifts me up and shows me that I can do anything I want and helps me make the most of my time on this planet.
Finally, there are two ladies who had much influence on me growing up. They were Ruth "Polish" Randall and Allene "Grandma Honey" Riffe. Two strong, independent women who loved everyone, taught many and had an unlikely friendship for 40 years. Their love for me was so strong that I still feel it today, years after they have both passed on, and it gives me much strength.
Yes, it is a good birthday, a day to celebrate my incredibly blessed life.
Wednesday, November 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment