For as long as I can remember, I have cared about politics. In 1988, I followed the Bush and Dukakis race and watched it played out right at home, where on of my parents was fervently for Dukakis and the other for Bush. I was not even 8 years old during the election, and had just turned 8 on Election Day. That January, I begged to stay home from school on Inauguration Day to watch the ceremonies on television.
In 1992, I watched even more closely, as history played out. For the first time, there was a major third party candidate. In the past four years we'd had a war and an economic downturn. Victory for the incumbent was not a guarantee. Bill Clinton defeated George Bush and Ross Perot to become president. In 1996, he won a second term.
In 2000, I was finally allowed to vote in a presidential election. I was totally thrilled... my college roommates and I followed the election closely. It ended up being another landmark election, calling into question our very political process and whether or not we should continue the ancient practice of the electoral college. Many of else felt great disappointment as a president who has not won the popular vote was declared the winner because of electoral votes.
In 2004, I was living out in California and I got really involved in the political process, volunteering in voter registration drives and canvassing neighborhoods to make sure to get the vote out. I even travelled to Arizona with a group called Turn Arizona Blue. Even though my candidate lost, it was still so much fun to be so involved.
This year, in 2008, the election will be historic no matter which way it goes. EVERYONE needs to get out and cast a ballot. It's our responsiblity as Americans to vote and to make our voices heard!
Tuesday, November 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment